Self-love doesn’t have to stop just because Valentine’s Day is over! The team at Flower Mound Dental wants to make sure you give your smile some love. There is much more to keeping your smile shining than just brushing every day. In fact, there are a variety of small daily tricks you can use to optimize the health of your smile. We are excited to share these simple tips on how to brighten your smile as well as the services we offer that will boost your self-confidence.
Learn How To Love Your Teeth!
Here are six simple practices you can adopt at home to elevate your oral care routine:
- Don’t brush too often. You may feel the need to brush your teeth after every meal. However, brushing more than twice per day can damage your gums and enamel. If you still feel the need to have your mouth feel clean after every meal, try rinsing with plain water. This will disrupt food particles without placing extra pressure on your teeth or gums.
- Eat teeth-whitening foods. Did you know that there are foods that can help whiten your teeth? Crunchy foods generally need to be chewed for longer, and therefore your mouth will generate more saliva while eating them. Saliva assists in neutralizing acids that wear down your enamel, which will help prevent yellowing. In addition to this, foods that are coarse and rich in fiber, such as apples, pears, carrots, lettuce, celery, and cucumbers, can help rid the surfaces of your teeth of accumulated plaque.
- Don’t spend too much time on your favorite sugary drinks. Some people finish their favorite latte or soda in a few quick gulps, while others nurse on it for hours. So why is finishing it quickly more beneficial for your teeth? Suppose your teeth are being exposed to sugar over a more extended time. In that case, bacteria in your mouth that use sugar as a food source will metabolize it into lactic acid. This acid can eventually dissolve the healthy minerals on your teeth, leading to cavities down the road.
- Start by brushing in the back of your mouth. All of us are probably guilty of skimping on paying attention to brushing our back teeth during our oral care routine. These teeth need some love! Your molars are more prone to infection and gum disease because of all the hard-to-reach spots surrounding them. Brushing your back teeth before the rest of your mouth will ensure you are not too fatigued to hit all the right places!
- Keep your toothbrush holder clean. This may not be a step you think of taking when it comes to keeping your teeth themselves clean. If you haven’t cleaned your toothbrush holder in a while and take a close look at it, you may notice that it has accumulated grime. Your toothbrush holder holds on to many of the germs that reside in your bathroom and is known to be the third-dirtiest household item. To keep it clean, we recommend washing it in your dishwasher a couple of times per week!
- Switch to a soft-bristled toothbrush. Have you ever had trouble with sensitivity while brushing your teeth? This may be due to applying too much pressure as you brush, which can be exacerbated by the quality of the bristles on your toothbrush of choice. It is common knowledge that you should switch out your toothbrush every few months. Make sure you keep doing this but pick up a soft-bristled brush on your next trip for a switch. In addition to these brushes being better for your teeth and gums, applying less pressure when you brush will help minimize abrasiveness.
Achieving a healthy, shining smile is something everyone deserves, whether before or after Valentine’s Day! If you employ these six tips, we promise you will see a difference in the health of your teeth over time. If you’re interested in pampering your smile even more, Flower Mound Dental offers both ZOOM in-office teeth whitening and take-home teeth whitening kits. These options are excellent for self-care and make great gifts! Give us a call at (972) 691-8337 if you have any questions about our teeth whitening or other cosmetic options or would like to schedule an appointment.